Religion and the South
ARDA: Religious data archive - Comprehensive religious data archive for the United States from the 1950s to the present. Can narrow down to state, county, and city level.
Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life - provides up to date survey information about religious practice in the United States.
Social Explorer- provides easy access to demographic information about the United States, from 1790 to present. Includes Census data.
ProQuest Statistical Insight - Coverage ranges across many topics including income, production, retail and wholesale trade, interest rates, economic indicators, demographics, energy, environmental protection, agriculture and fisheries, crime, medicine, and education.
Historical Statistics of the United States - database contains over 37,000 tables of historical data covering population, the economy, social conditions, health, and governance. Covers 18th-20th centuries.
City and County Data Book- access to the 1944 through 2000 County and City Data Books.
(Let's take a moment to mourn the death of the Statistical Abstract of the United States)
CQ Voting and Elections (UGA only)
- contains numerous national electoral statistics back to 1789 for President, Congress, and Governor races.
- estimates for nation and states by race, sex, Hispanic Origin (and age in some tables)
- election years only, 1970- (with some data back to 1960)
- pdf format
- post election survey provides alternative source for estimating turnout, nation only
- interactive survey data analysis available through the SDA Archive at UC Berkeley
The Secretary of State's office in most states provides recent registration stats online, in some cases down to the county and even precinct level.
- contains historical and current statistics, facts, documents
Party affiliations in the state legislatures : a year by year summary, 1796-2006 - http://gilfind.uga.edu/vufind/Record/3334824
State legislative elections [computer file] : voting patterns and demographics - http://gilfind.uga.edu/vufind/Record/2896466
The geography of presidential elections in the United States, 1868-2004 - http://gilfind.uga.edu/vufind/Record/3158264
- digitized books, manuscripts, photographs, government documents, newspapers, maps, audio, video from GA's history.
- Wide breadth of material covering the Civil Rights movement.
- Includes new reels, audio files, images, interviews, and other historical documents.
- Political cartoons on local, national, and international news focusing on Georgia events and persons. Covers 1946-1997.
iPoll (Roper Center) (1935-present)
- Contains polling data collected by various organizations from 1935 to the present.
Historic Newspapers - The South (online): https://sites.google.com/site/onlinenewspapersite/Home/usa
We have several GALILEO databases with articles about Southern politics.
- Covers history and culture of the United States and Canada, from prehistory to the present.
- Citations, abstracts, and indexing of the international serials literature in political science and its complementary fields.
- Index to articles on race and ethnicity.