Journal, Magazine, News Article Databases
Multisearch - searches popular and scholarly articles and newspapers plus our local catalog, finding results from over 90 databases.Many articles will be in full text.
CQ Global Researcher and CQ Public Affairs - Full text reports on a single topic drawn from a wide range of social, economic, political, and environmental issues. Reports provide overview and background information and also includes a pro/con section on some aspect of the topic.
CQ Homeland Security - Provides up-to-date and comprehensive homeland security information. The database includes real-time daily news, tracking of homeland security legislation, and analysis of the latest homeland security spending and policy issues.
LexisNexis Academic contains approximately 5,000 publications, including newspapers from around the world, virtually all include full text.
Social Explorer provides easy access to demographic information about the United States, from 1790 to present.
Ancestry Database - for fun! On campus only.
Look for websites that are from scholarly think tanks, universities, or other reputable groups. You can limit your results to a particular domain in google by typing in site:.gov to limit to government websites, for example.
A few recommendations:
- Pew Reports - Several on immigration issues including Unauthorzied Immigration Population - National and State Trends, 2010
- Migration Policy Institute - Reports and stats including the Study on state and local immigration enforcement.
- Migration News (Univ. of California Davis) - reports, census data on human migration worldwide
- Forced Migration (Oxford) -focus on refugees worldwide
- Fact Check - Use this site to double-check your facts, see who is behind the stories, search out bias, etc.
- USCIS - US Citizen and Immigration. How to become a citizen or get a green card.
- US Census - population, income/poverty and other demographic data including information on immigration.
- American Fact Finder - using Census data to pull together thematic maps, stats, and more.
- Congressional Budget Office - Impact of Undocumented Immigrants on State Budgets study
- Chat with a librarian online at http://www.libs.uga.edu/chat.
- In person at the Main and Science Libraries and on the 3rd floor of the Miller Learning Center (SLC).
- Email Caroline Barratt (email@example.com) with questions or to set up an appointment.
- Endnote / Refworks
Your GIL Account - Log on to GIL to renew books online, check the status of GILExpress requests, and get the off campus password for the article databases.
UGA Libraries Hours - Main and Science http://www.libs.uga.edu/access_services/hours.html / Miller Learning Center http://www.slc.uga.edu/hours/index.html