Main Library Reference
- Georgia Genealogical Workbook by Ted O. Brooke. Location: Main Ref F285 .B7570 1987. Covers basic sources and techniques. Includes data checklists. Provides some listings of library holdings.
- Colonial Records of the State of Georgia by Franklin Printing and Publishing. Location: Main Ref F281 .C7191 (Index only) An index is shelved with the set in the Georgia Room and in Main Reference.
- Georgia Genealogy and Local History: A Bibliography by James Edward Dorsey. Location: Main Ref Z1273 .D67. A directory of county organizations and resources.
- Georgia Genealogical Research by George K. Schweitzer. Location: Main Ref F285 .S38 1995. Focuses on the records for the state and each county.
- Georgia Sources for Family History by Robert Holcomb Warnock. Location: Main Ref F285 .W276 1995. Has 550 entries, public and private sources, arranged by county.
Special Collections Hargrett Reference, University of Georgia Libraries Special Collections Libraries
- 30,638 Burials in Georgia by Jeannette Holland Austin. Location: Special Collections Hargrett Reference (Reading Room) Hargr Ref F285 .A887 1995. The list was compiled from headstones and markers in 600 cemeteries located in nearly 100 counties.
- Georgia Familes: A Bibliographic Listing by Donald M. Hehir. Location: Special Collections Hargrett Reference (Reading Room) Hargr Ref F285 .H44 1993. Contains bibliographies of families with Georgia connections.
- Genealogical Resources in the Atlanta Area by Gary M. Palgon. Location: Special Collections Hargrett Reference (Reading Room) Hargr Ref F294 . A853 A27 1994. Lists archives, government institutions and libraries for genealogical research in and around Atlanta, including Family History Centers and Atlanta Jewish sources.
- Africans in Georgia, 1870 by Roma Jones Stewart. Location: Special Collections Hargrett Reference (Reading Room) Hargr Ref F285 .S74 1993. Names of African born and foreign-born African Americans from the 1870 census.
- Ancestor Roster/Georgia Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Location: Special Collections Hargrett Reference (Reading Room) Hargr Ref E483.5 .G35. UDC members provide information on their ancestors.
- Membership Roster: A-Z: November 1895-July 15. 1995 / Georgia Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Location: Special Collections Hargrett Reference (Reading Room) Hargr Ref E843.3 .G35 1995. Provides a listing of UDC members and their ancestors.
- Roster of Confederate Graves/Georgia Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Locations: Special Collections Hargrett Reference (Reading Room) Hargr Ref E548 .U55 1995. Includes cemetery information for Georgians who have served for the Confederacy.
- Georgia Bibliography: The online version of Kathy Jarvis' "Georgia Biography."
- Directory of Georgia's Historical Organizations and Resources: Organized by county.
Additionally, a great starting point is Genealogical Resources from the Digital Library of Georgia.
Other Local Libraries
Heritage Room, Athens-Clarke County Library: houses materials on the business, economic, social, cultural, and natural history, politics and government, geology, archaeology, and geography of the local area, Georgia, and the South. They also will do obituary lookups in Athens papers for a fee.
Suggestions for Searching GIL for Genealogy
These subject headings have been selected from the Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), 31st ed. This set is available behind the Main Library Reference Desk. You may use it for subject searching in the online catalog. Consult with a reference librarian if you have questions concerning the UGA Libraries, the LCSH or the UGA Libraries' Catalog in GIL.
Note: Personal names, place names, the names of organizations, etc., are valid subject headings in the Library of Congress classification system. You do not need to consult LCSH to verify these headings.
African Americans genealogy
Archives (place name) e.g. Archives Georgia
Baptism and church membership
Birth certificates see also Registers of birth, etc.
Cemeteries see also by name of a specific cemetery (e.g., Oconee Hill Cemetery, Athens, Ga.) or by location (e.g., Augusta (Ga.) Saint Paul's Church Yard Cemetery)
Census see also under the name of a particular place (e.g., North Carolina census) see also the section in this bibliography dealing with the Census
Confederate States of America biography
(Counties, names of) See under the specific county name (e.g., Madison County)
Court records see also Probate courts
Emigration and immigration
For family names, look under the specific family name (e.g., Wilson Family)
Genealogical libraries see also Archives
Genealogy handbooks, manuals, etc.
For genealogical resources pertaining to a particular state or region, there will be the subheading "genealogy" (e.g., Georgia Genealogy).
Historical societies see also by individual names (e.g., Western Reserve Historical Society)
Libraries special collections
Library resources United States directories
Marriage (place name) e.g. Marriage Georgia see also Registers of births, etc.
Registers as a subheading: e.g., Confederate States of America. Army registers
Registers of births, etc. (includes births, cemetery lists, wills, marriages) (subdivided by place)
Wills (place names)